Red&White font
Red&White wings
OAX 9F reg plate comp
Red&White line-up 3 comp

RED&WHITE Event 2017, Saturday 30 September.
Old Ferry Inn, Beachley, near Chepstow.

On 29 Sept 2012
a Red&White event was held at the Old Ferry Inn, Beachley
(near Chepstow).

Preserved vehicles present included (from L to R):

Bristol MW-6G
(JAX 117E)

Bristol RELH-6L
(OAX 9F)

Bristol MW-6G
(SWO 986)

Bristol RESL-6L
(LAX 101E)

Associated Motorways logo

Associated Motorways’ was formed as a result of the Road Traffic Act 1930, which encouraged competing coach operators to co-ordinate their services. In 1934 six coach operators came together to form Associated Motorways’, to pool their services between the Midlands and the south and west of England and between London and South Wales. The founder members were: Black & White (Cheltenham), Red & White (Chepstow), Royal Blue, (Bournemouth), Greyhound (Bristol) Midland Red (Birmingham) and United Counties (Northampton).

Associated Motorways' was an early example of a travel brand. It did not own or run any coaches. Each member company committed itself to providing an agreed mileage of coach journeys for Associated Motorways’ and took an agreed share of the profits. The pool mainly operated the hub and spoke model, the hub being the art-deco Cheltenham Coach Station which Black & White opened in 1931.

The consortium had to suspend operations during World War II from 1942 to 1946, but prospered thereafter. New members joined: Lincolnshire and Eastern Counties in 1956, Crosville in 1965 and finally Southdown in 1972. All of the members (except Black & White) also operated their own bespoke express coach services outside of the consortium.

On a peak summer weekend the consortium could have over 800 coaches on the road. Every day, coaches from all over England and Wales converged on Cheltenham Coach Station and exchanged passengers with each other. At 2pm sharp an inspector blew his whistle, and all the coaches departed on-mass for their numerous destinations across Britain. It caused traffic chaos in the centre of Cheltenham, especially on busy summer Saturdays!

Two things killed Associated Motorways'. First, the expansion of the motorway network during the 1960s and ‘70s made coach services faster and more direct. It made the Cheltenham services, which only ran daily uncompetitive. Second, in 1973 the National Bus Company formed National Travel (later National Express) to run coach services with a greater emphasis on more frequent and more direct routes. Travel trends had changed and interchanging at Cheltenham was no longer an attractive proposition.

Cheltenham Coach Station closed in 1984 and was finally demolished in the late-1990s. The plot on St Margaret’s Road, where it once stood, is now a temporary car park awaiting redevelopment.

Red & White Depots

The Red&White Head Office and engineering facility was at The Bulwark, Chepstow.

At their peak in the 1950s, the company had 16 operational depots, as follows:-
Aberdare, Abertillery, Abergavenny, Blackwood, Brynmawr, Cardiff (coaches), Cheltenham
(coaches), Chepstow, Cinderford, Coleford, Hereford, Lydney, Monmouh, Newport, Ross-on- Wye and Tredegar.

Click here to download a list of all the companies depots and travel office addresses.

AM 1960s poster
LAX 124F CBS 1969

Route 73 was one of the longer bus services operated by RED & WHITE.
It ran from Cardiff Central Bus Station to Gloucester Bus Station, mainly via the A48, through Rhymney, Newport, Caldicot, Chepstow, Lydney, Blakeney and Westbury-on-Severn.
In 1969 when the picture above was taken, the service ran daily, every hour and took 2hours 45 minutes, to travel the 59 miles. What a fantastic trip on a Bristol RE with a Leyland 600 engine!

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player