Red&White font
Red&White wings
OAX 9F reg plate comp

This page gives information about the British companies that manufactured Ruby between September 1967 and February 1968.
The Data Sheet, gives full details of the manufacturers and the component specification.

Bristol logo

Bristol Commercial Vehicles Ltd (Bristol)

Click on an image to view full size, read the caption and scroll through all of the pictures.

ECW logo

Eastern Coach Works Ltd (Lowestoft)

Short YouTube clip about ECW
by some retired employees

Leyland Diesel Engine badge

Leyland Motors Ltd (Leyland)

During the 1950's and 60's Leyland Motors Ltd was Britains biggest manufacturer of bus, coach and truck chassis and commercial vehicle engines.

In 1966 Leyland Motors Ltd purchased a 25% stake in Bristol Commercial Vehicles and promptly set about amending the RE specification to include as many Leyland components as possible. In particular Leyland engines and Self-Changing Gears semi-automatic gearboxes were offered.

OAX 9F was built with a horizontal 6-cylinder 9.8litre Leyland O.600 diesel engine
developing 130bhp at 2,000 revs. The 600 engine was developed in 1946 and was used for the then new Leyland PS2 single and PD2 double deckers of the era. The horizontal version of this engine (as in OAX 9F) went into production around 1947.

Red&White (and Cumberland Motors) were unique in ordered Leyland O.600 engines in their Bristol RE's - other operators that wanted Leyland engines choose the slightly more powerful 11.1litre Leyland 680 engine. Ruby's engine has just been rebuilt - read the story and see the pictures.

Self-Changing Gears was a British company, set-up and originally owned equally by Walter Gordon Wilson and John Davenport Siddeley to develop and exploit Wilson’s pre-selector gearbox. From the mid-1950's the company was owned by Leyland Motors Ltd.

Their gearboxes were not fully automatic. Selection of a gear ratio was a manual choice by the driver, but the actual gear-change and the clutch control is automated. The gearboxes were used in conjunction with a fluid coupling so no clutch pedal was needed.

Around 1960 SCG designed the semi-automatic gearbox under their brand name "Pneumo-cyclic". A small lever (pictured) located beside the steering wheel allows the driver to select a gear. This lever is in effect an electronic switch. When a gear is selected, it provides current to a solenoid which opens a valve allowing compressed air to change the gear ratio in the gearbox. The system makes for a quiet and relatively smooth gear change (when used correctly)! A 3 second pause between each gear works best.

Pictures 110

Self-Changing Gears Ltd (Coventry)

Union Jack

Below are some original 1960s adverts for companies

that supplied parts to build the Bristol RELH coach:

Click on an image to view full size, read the caption and scroll through all of the pictures.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player